NDIS Information and Support Worker
Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council
VMIAC is the peak Victorian non-government organisation for people with lived experience of mental health or emotional issues. VMIAC engages in a number of activities, including information provision, peer support and self-help. VMIAC provides individual, group and systemic advocacy along with research and evaluation, education and training.
The principle objective of this role is to respond to enquiries to VMIAC’s NDIS Support Service, providing one on support and self-advocacy coaching to individuals who contact VMIAC requiring assistance with various aspects of the NDIS and triaging calls for the NDIS Appeals Team.
The NDIS Information and Support Worker is part of a larger NDIS Team that includes NDIS Appeals Advocates and NDIS Educators who are supporting people with a psychosocial disability across Victoria to build their knowledge and understanding of the NDIS. Central to this is the tenet that consumers will at times need support, information, advice and advocacy with regards to their access and use of the NDIS and that this support will be provided by well-resourced and skilled VMIAC staff with a lived experience who engage and work closely with the consumer community.
NDIS Information and Support
- To respond quickly and in efficient manner to NDIS enquiries from consumers providing information, resources and one on coaching and support regarding matters relating to the NDIS and how to navigate the NDIS to best suit their needs.
- Supporting consumers through the NDIS planning process and providing advocacy in planning meetings when required.
- Meeting with and delivering one on one support and coaching on matters relating to the NDIS for consumers in regional and rural communities on an arranged basis.
- Networking with services in regional and rural Victoria, referring consumers to services that may be better equipped to meet their needs.
- Ensure knowledge of legislation and policy is current to ensure accurate information, resource provision and representation.
Help Desk Triage
- Answering of calls and enquiries that come through the NDIS Help Desk, providing assistance and support where possible.
- Provide intake and triaging of NDIS-related calls and enquiries from members of the community, assessing and categorising the urgency of calls and allocating the correct resource and response times to ensure all callers receive a timely follow up and support.
- Confidentially document and record all contacts and engagements on the VMIAC database inline with record keeping requirements and with permission from the consumer.
THIS IS A LIVED EXPERIENCE, CONSUMER POSITION.
A position description is attached.