We are excited to be hosting a number of information session in regards to the VMIAC consumer register.
VMIAC is staffed by people with a lived experience of mental illness and emotional distress. We know the value of peer support and the power of lived experience to build radical social change.
Our history illustrates this, you can learn more about VMIAC history by going here on our website.
By joining the Consumer Register (the Register) you become part of community of consumers who use their lived experience of mental or emotional distress to bring about policy and service development in the mental health sector.
What is the Consumer Register
Established in 2018, the Register is a partnership between VMIAC and the Department of Health. It seeks to improve processes for consumer participation in the mental health service system and the reforms recommended by the Mental Health Royal Commission. It also provides a way for consumers to be paid for their lived experience and take up opportunities that become available.
If you join the Register you and other consumers will be contacted about opportunities to convey the needs, views and diverse experiences in:
- Short term and one-off involvement such as speaking about personal experience as a consumer, in focus groups and research interviews
- Research on personal experience
- Local working groups for the co-production and co-design of policies and mental services
- Governance, including Boards of Mental Health Services
The Register compliments our Membership, and it enhances VMIAC’s ability to convey the needs, views, perspectives of consumers from all parts of the Victorian Community to the Department of Health and other relevant organisations.
We are holding an information session for people who are interested in joining the register. In the information session you will learn more about:
- The processes of joining
- What supports you would receive from VMIAC to be involved
- Hear from a consumer about what it’s been like for them
- What you would need to do to join.
Linked below you will find the dates for our information sessions, click the links to register via Eventbrite
1. Tues 7th December 12 noon to 1pm
2. Wed 15th Dec 4.30pm to 5.30pm
3. Mon 20th 10.30am to 11.30pm.
If you have accessibility requirements to participate please let us know. We are here to support you on this journey.
We look forward to seeing you there, and having you as part of our consumer register.