We will be holding online workshops to assist consumers with writing submissions to the Royal Commission.
Unlike the current Victorian Royal Commission into Mental Health, it’s specifically asking for people to demonstrate the violence, abuse and neglect they may have experienced within the mental health system. This includes people with a psychosocial disability.
Violence and abuse refers to a range of behaviours towards people with disability. These could include assault, sexual assault, constraints, restrictive practices (physical and chemical), forced treatments, forced interventions, humiliation and harassment, financial and economic abuse and significant violations of privacy and dignity on a systemic or individual basis.
Neglect includes physical or emotional neglect, passive neglect or wilful deprivation. Neglect can be a single significant incident or a systemic issue that involves depriving a person with disability of the basic necessities of life such as food, drink, shelter, access, mobility, clothing, education, medical care and treatment.
What does psychosocial disability mean, and can I submit?
Psychosocial disability is the term used to describe disabilities that may arise from mental health issues. While not everyone living with a mental health condition will experience psychosocial disability, some examples may include:
- Schizoid disorders such as schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder
- Anxiety disorders such as obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, agoraphobia and social phobia
- Mood disorders such as major and dysthymic depression and bipolar disorder
How to make a submission?
To make a submission, head to the Royal Commission website https://disability.royalcommission.gov.au/share-your-story/make-your-submission
If you need further support to make a submission:
- We are running online workshops to assist
- You can use our ‘How To Make A Submission Guide’ if you are unable to attend our workshops
- Email us with queries or submissions at email@example.com
- Call us on (03) 9380 3900
- Post your submissions to Building 1, 22 Aintree Street, Brunswick East, Vic, 3057