If you have experienced or are experiencing distress, you have the right to be recognised, respected, and included in policy decision making related to your healthcare needs.
We invite you to join the VMIAC Consumer Register to influence and transform the mental health system through paid opportunities.
What is the VMIAC Register?
The VMIAC Register is for consumers and people with lived and living experience of distress. It was established and is managed by VMIAC in partnership with the Victoria Department of Health.
The Department of Health is committed to putting people with lived and living experience at the centre of the design and delivery of mental health services. The Mental Health Lived Experience Engagement Framework supports this. The Consumer Register is where the Department of Health seeks and consults people with lived and living experience, drawing from your knowledge and expertise for systems and policy development.
Other mental health related services that are aligned with VMIAC’s codes of conduct and ethics may also advise lived and living experience opportunities via the Consumer Register from time to time.
Why would I join the VMIAC Register?
The benefits to using your lived and living experience via the VMIAC Register include:
- Becoming part of a community of people using their lived and living experience
- Contributing to changing the system and services for consumers
- Making meaning of your lived and living experience and having your experiences validated
- Elevating the expertise that consumers have
- Having access to a platform that values lived experience
- Building your skills in the advocacy lived experience area
- Being linked in with paid opportunities
Am I eligible to join the VMIAC Register?
To join the VMIAC Register, it is important that you:
- are at least 16 years of age; and
- have lived and/or living experience of mental health challenges and/or emotional distress; and
- have received, are receiving, are seeking, or excluded from treatment and support from publicly funded mental health services (preferably in Victoria); and
- are currently based in Victoria; and
- are able and willing to share a consumer perspective that speaks to not just your own, but a broader view on mental health services; and
- are comfortable communicating and contributing to an active and shared conversation with a diverse audience; and
- possess (or are willing to develop) the following skills:
- Interpersonal communications
- conflict resolution
- participatory governance
We acknowledge that these “selection criteria” are a lot to ask. They are not meant to deter you from joining the consumer register. Rather, we list these criteria to help you make an informed decision about what is expected and to ensure that you are able to participate safely and effectively in consumer register opportunities.
I need more information about the VMIAC Register.
We encourage you to join our information sessions. Please visit the VMIAC Eventbrite page for more information on upcoming sessions.
We are also here for your questions via email and phone.
How do I register?
We are excited for you become a registered consumer. There are four steps to joining the VMIAC Register:
We invite you to take the first step today by submitting an Expression of Interest.
VMIAC acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.