The Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council (VMIAC) would not be who we are without the support, dedication, and guidance of our Members. VMIAC is a completely consumer governed, managed and run organisation. Every person who works at VMIAC has lived experience of mental health challenges and/or as a mental health consumer/survivor. Our lived experience is used alongside specialist skills in their work roles. This includes our Committee of Management
VMIAC’s vision is for a reality where all mental health consumers stand proud, live a life with choices honoured, rights upheld and these principles are embedded in all aspects of society.
Our vision is closely tied to our membership base and how it operates. Click here to find out more
VMIAC knows we’re still a long way from achieving our vision of consumers’ rights being respected and our choices being upheld—but VMIAC remains committed to achieving this vision.
Our vision is based on what Members told us, we wrote it up as a Declaration which you can read about here.
We want you to join us! Your experience matters. Be part of the change you want to see.
What does your membership provide?
There is no cost to be a member of VMIAC. There are two types of membership available.
Individual Membership is for people who have lived experience of mental illness or distress.
As an Individual Member, you:
- Will receive our fortnightly newsletter, including invites to events, focus groups, and sector and community news (you can opt out at any time)
- Can attend meetings about mental health issues and have your say
- Can attend meetings about mental health system and reform efforts and have your say
- Can become actively involved as a volunteer
- Can vote for or be elected to the Committee of Management (COM)
- Be on the COM, meaning you will have a say in the governance of VMIAC.
If you do not have or do not wish to disclose your consumer lived experience of mental illness and or emotional difficulties, you can join as an Associate Member.
As an Associate Member you:
- Will receive regular information including the newsletter
- Can show your support for the organisation.
Associate members cannot:
- Be on the Committee of Management
Membership length, updates and cancellation
We will reach out to you at the end of each final (June 30th) year to confirm your subscription.
If you wish to be a member, but don’t wish to receive our fortnightly update that is okay. You can just tell us.
You can update your contact details or cancel your membership any time by emailing email@example.com
How to join
The process for becoming a Member can take up to a month. This is because the Membership Sub-Committee meets at the end of each month, just prior to VMIAC’s Committee of Management Meeting. Once approved by the Sub-Committee these are tabled at the Committee of Management Meeting.
Once your membership is approved you will be sent a welcome pack.
For further information
If you would like to speak to someone in the membership team please contact us via:
Phone: (03) 9380 3900