A collective vision by consumers/survivors
What is The Declaration?
The VMIAC Declaration will be a short and powerful statement about the mental health system that:
- Shares our collective vision of the future
- Describes what should replace the mental health system
- Focuses on hope and what helps
VMIAC is working with consumers/survivors across Victoria to collectively create The Declaration.
Why create The Declaration?
Most of our advocacy is about the things we don’t want, like compulsory treatment or seclusion. The Declaration is about what the things we do want. It’s the work of imagining what would be there if we got rid of all the things that hurt us or don’t help.
The Declaration will guide VMIAC’s ongoing advocacy for radical change.
We believe the Declaration will:
- Bring consumers/survivors together
- Help us mobilise for change
- Be a project of hope and possibility
Join us to develop The VMIAC Declaration. There are different ways to join…
Share ideas, make a contribution, hear about project progress, help us analyse what people are saying, comment on drafts of The Declaration. Or just hang out with us and watch The Declaration evolve.
Tell us what you want The Declaration to say. The survey steps you through the process of imagining a different future. The survey is fully anonymous.
Tell us about your preferred language for describing ourselves and our experiences. The survey is fully anonymous.
Come to a workshop
We have four upcoming Declaration workshops. Workshops will run for 2-3 hours, and light refreshments will be provided:
- Thursday 26 September: BRUNSWICK EAST
- Friday 27 September: BENDIGO
- Monday 30 September: WARRNAMBOOL
- Tuesday 1 October: TRARALGON
Register interest in a workshop:
- Call us on (03) 9380 3900
- Or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us which workshop date you want to attend.
Submit your ideas in a creative format
We’d love to hear from you in creative formats as well! Feel free to send us photos, videos, audio recordings, artwork or written stories to add to The Declaration!
Your creative submission should respond to one or more of these questions:
- If you had a magic wand, what would you do to the mental health system?
- Imagine it’s 30 years in the future and the consumer/survivor movement has been disbanded because our work is done. What has been created or changed to make this possible?
- Think about what’s made your healing or recovery possible. If that was available to everyone, what would it look like?
- How do you want people to think about ‘mental illness’ and ‘mental health’ in the future?
Help us get the word out!
Download our flyer and share it with others who may be interested: [Download PDF file, 1pg]